Traffic Circulation Plan
Your child’s safety is vitally important to us. We encourage our families to walk to school as a healthy alternative to riding in the car. Many of our families chose to participate in a “walking carpool.” This is an option where several families meet in a less congested area a block or so away from school. The parents then take turns in walking the children to school. This is an effective alternative that could be used at either our Verdugo Road or Colina Street entrances.
For those families who chose to drive to school, the Drop-Off and Pick-Up area is our Traffic Lane in front of school on Verdugo Road (indicated by the orange and yellow safety cones). All drivers MUST follow the Arrival and Departure Procedures described below to ensure the safety of all our students. The success of this procedure to run efficiently depends on the cooperation of all drivers.
Morning Arrival Procedures: Drive-In – “Drop-off” – Depart
Be sure all children are ready to exit the vehicle. Backpacks and lunches should be easily accessible (i.e. NOT in the trunk).
Drive-in Pull as far forward as possible in the Drop-off area (in the green safety cone area). Parents should remain in the vehicle.
Drop-off Our morning greeter will help children exit the vehicle. Children should exit the vehicle on the passenger side (school/sidewalk side) only.
Depart Once the car door is closed, parents will drive forward and exit the traffic lane nearest to the fire hydrant.
Afternoon Departure Procedures: Drive-In – “Pick-up” – Depart
At the end of the school day, teachers will assist in the supervision of the traffic lane. Students will sit with their classrooms on the wall in front of school. Teachers will help identify arriving parents. Students will get in the cars from the front of the line (in the green safety cone area). Drivers must remain in their vehicle while lining up and waiting for their children.
Drive-in Pull as far forward as you can.
Pick-up Your child will be waiting for you in front of the school. A greeter will help your child enter the car on the curb side only.
Depart Once the car door is closed, please leave promptly. Thank you for remembering to drive slowly and carefully when exiting the traffic lane and entering the flow of traffic on Verdugo Road.
Colina Street Entrance
The Colina Gate entrance is designated as a “Walk-Thru” access to our campus. It is not intended to be a vehicle “drop-off” or “pick-up” traffic lane. The City of Glendale has designated “No Parking” signs in and around Colina Street and frequently tickets drivers not abiding to the posted signs. We ask that you respect our neighbors by not using the Colina Street entrance as a drive-through traffic area. Supervision at the Colina Street gate is limited and is currently only provided after school till 3:00 PM (when staff and funding are available.)
Verdugo Road Traffic Lane
Please be aware that the drive-thru traffic lane in front of school travels SOUTH on Verdugo Road. We ask that drivers DO NOT do u-turns in front of school in order to enter the traffic lane. If you are coming from south of our school, please travel NORTH on Canada Blvd., then take Wabasso Street to Verdugo Road in order to be traveling south on Verdugo Road to enter our traffic lane.
Tickets have been given by the Glendale Police Department for parking in the red zone in front of school (in front of the fire hydrant), parking in and/or blocking our neighbors’ driveways, and using the Handicapped Parking space in our visitors parking lot for dropping-off students (without a Handicapped Parking tag.)
· Have children ready to exit your vehicle with all belongings.
· Slowly enter the traffic lane and pull as far forward as possible before having your child exit the car.
· Come to a complete stop before allowing your child to exit or enter the car.
· While waiting for pick-up, children must sit on the wall in front of school.
· If you child is not waiting for you at the time you pass through the traffic lane, please circle the block and re-enter the drive-thru lane.
· Please be courteous and respectful to all staff and volunteers assisting students in the traffic lane.
· Park in the drive-thru lane at any time during morning arrival or afternoon dismissal.
· Walk across Verdugo Road except where it is safely indicated in the crosswalk at the traffic signal (Please no “jay-walking” in front of school or at Sherer Street.)
· Make a U-Turn on Verdugo Road in order to enter the drive-thru lane.
· Park or block private driveways.
· Use either the Staff Parking Lot or Visitor’s Lot as student drop-off areas.
Thank you for working together to ensure the safety of our children!